The League Holds its Cup Finals at the end of the Season, usually at a fully enclosed football ground.

The Finals over the Last 40 Years Have been played at Various Northern Football League Grounds, with seated Stands Flood lights act. I have listed the Grounds Below with some Photos of the Grounds Used.

Esh Winning AFC



Esh Winning, a former colliery village in County Durham, five miles to the west of Durham city, situated in the Deerness Valley. The name of the village comes from the older nearby village of Esh, which is a Saxon word for Ash, and Winning which was a Victorian term used when coal was found.

The first football club in the village were Esh Winning Rangers, formed in 1889 playing regional friendlies and minor league football before joining the Northern League in 1912-13, where they had a successful start winning the title and the Durham Benevolent Bowl in their debut season.

The club played at the Stags Head Recreation Ground, where a record crowd of over 5,000 saw a thrilling 4-5 defeat to eventual winners Bishop Auckland in the Amateur Cup Quarter Final in 1921, unfortunately the club were forced to fold four games into the 1934-35 season, unable to pay the Parish Council for the ground rent with their record and remaining fixtures taking up by West Auckland Town.

Esh Winning Albion came then went during the 1950’s until the present reincarnation of football in Esh and the current home of the club, a mile away in the neighbouring village of Waterhouses. Formed in 1967 as Esh Winning Pineapple, they purchasing the welfare grounds from the coal board as the local colliery faced imminent closure and began playing in the Durham Sunday League. It was during this era the club won many honours with West Terrace recording it’s best crowd; 1,500, for an FA Sunday Cup tie v Liverpool Fantail in 1978.

The club are nicknamed the Stags and began playing Saturday football in the Northern Alliance in 1981-82, the following season they dropped the fruity part of their name and joined the newly formed Northern League Division Two, £43,000 was spent on ground improvements and facilities, with the installation of new floodlights appearing later in 1999.


The ground has a picturesque setting, just like you'd imagine a ground set in a small village in the middle of nowhere would look like, found off the main road along a narrow lane, thankfully there’s a welcome sign at the lane junction because if there wasn’t, you’d never find the ground. West Terrace is very quaint with panoramic views of it’s hilly surroundings, my only previous knowledge of the village was the old Northern bus;725, which departed from Worswick Street in Newcastle and ran past our estate, with Esh Winning as it’s final destination, I remember thinking as a kid “where the hells that? It must be canny far away!”

West Terrace’s has a current capacity 3,500, the main stand is on one side of the half way line with the clubhouse to the other, the stand has five rows of black bench seats with a peaked green roof, the changing rooms are below the stand, with two separate entrances for both sets of teams. The clubhouse has the tardis affect, small in appearance but quite roomy inside, with the refreshment bar at the side of the building. There is also a small cover on this side of the ground, the rest of the ground is open hard standing except the far goal has a small tin shed directly behind the goal and behind it a steep grass bank which has two park benches in each corner, which is a great spot to watch the game from.


Albany Park, Washington



Albany Park Washington Albany Park has been the home of 'The Mechanics' since 1979, and they're planning to stay after leasing the land on an 88 year contract, after their move from their previous home at Unsworth Park. The main feature of the ground is the impressive new club house, where the main stand is housed; it was rebuilt during the 1992/93 season after the original club house was tragically gutted due to a fire.

"Weshintin" as the locals call it, made their debut in Northern League in the 1988/89 season after a successful application from the Wearside League, there best finish was winning promotion in the 2000/01 season, finishing runners-up to Ashington.Unfortunatly their stay in the First Division only lasted three seasons, but the club is showing enough ambition to regain their top league status.


Houghton Glendale Social defend a Free Kick in a Final Played at Washington



Houghton Glendale on the attack in a Final played at Washington


The Glendale Keeper tips the ball over the Bar in a final Played at Washington


Moor Park, Chester-le-Street Town




Moor Park has been the home of Chester-le-Street Town since 1980,the club was originally founded as Chester-le-Street Garden Farm after there formation in 1972.After progressing to the Wearside league in 1977 they changed their name to 'Town’, and became members of the Northern League in 1980,winning promotion at the first attempt. The Cestrians have spent £100,000 on bringing their home in Chester Moor up to Northern League standards, this includes a 200 seated stand, covered and uncovered terracacing, and floodlights. Moor Park has a very homely feel about it, hidden away on the A167 the money spend on the improvements has been wisely spent, and it's maybe one of the best grounds in the ANL.





Langley Park Sports and Social



Low Moor Road Stadium, Front Street, Langley Park. Durham, Former Northern League Club Langley Park Fc played in the Northern League using this Ground they were founded in 1920-21, Joined Northern League
1929-30 Resigned from Northern League on 11.12.1929 Reformed in 1990 as Langley Park Welfare changed name in 1990-91 Northern League Division Two runner-up and were promoted to Division One in 1992 Relegated to Division Two, in season 1995Left Northern League, and folded Now Langley Park Sports and Social play in the Durham Sunday League Division 4. They have been going for a number of years. They have a team of lads who always enjoy there football even if results don’t always match their endeavour.





The Welfare, Brandon


Brandon United were originally formed as a Sunday morning side called Rostrons, the name of the waste paper company where most of the founders worked. They began by playing in the Durham & District Sunday League in 1968/69, Joining the Third Division and gradually played their way up to the First Division. They were basically local lads, however the inclusion of Northern League and Wearside League players turned the club into one of the most powerful Sunday football sides in the North East.

From 1968/69 until 1976/77 they were First Division champions four times, Durham County FA. Sunday Cup winners three times, then the ultimate, F.A. Sunday Cup winners in 1975/76, defeating Evergreen 2-1.
In 1977, the club now called Brandon United, changing its name at the start of season 1972/73, made a switch to Saturday football, joining the Northern Alliance League where they played three successful seasons, winning the League Championship and League Cup twice.

Brandon United's proudest moment came in 1979/80 when entering the F.A. Cup for the first time, they reached the first round proper, on the way taking care of Northern League opponents Spennymoor United, Tow Law Town, South Bank and North Shields. In the first round proper, Brandon were beaten 3-0 by Football League opponents Bradford City, in a game played at Spennymoor.


Steve Taylor from Durham Driveways presents the Trophy to the Winning Captain from Chilton Wmc in the Final played at the Welfare Ground Brandon, the home of Brandon United.




Durham City


Ferens Park Durham City and the Archibald’s Stadium

The club was first inaugurated in the 1918-1919 seasons, and for that season only operated in the old Victory League, which was formed in celebration of the end of the First World War. Subsequently the team was admitted to the North Eastern League (which included such teams as Newcastle United, Sunderland and Middlesbrough reserves) where they played for two seasons before being admitted to Division 3 North in the season 1921-1922. The club operated in that league until 1928 when they failed to gain re-election. The club immediately rejoined the North Eastern League where they stayed until 1938, when due to financial constraints; the club was force to disband. For a short period during the following season, the club (having changed it's designation and then being known as Durham AFC) became members of the Wearside League but were again disbanded in November 1938, and it was not until the season commencing in 1950 that the club was reformed, gaining admission as members of the Wearside League, where they operated until 1952, when the club was successful in gaining admission to the Northern League. Since it was originally formed, the club has occupied five different grounds. The first of these being at Garden House Park (almost where County Hall stands now), where they stayed for one season only, moving immediately to Kepier Heughs, a larger field near to old Ferens Park ground. Here the y stayed for four seasons. The club then moved to Holiday Park (named after the late Alderman T.W. Holiday, a former mayor of the city), this ground was situated next to the large gasometer along Framwellgate Waterside in the City, where the club stayed until 1938. The club's fourth ground was acquired when they reformed in 1950 and was named after the late Alderman H.C. Ferens, who was for many years prior to his death in 1975, President of the club, and who was generous benefactor in connection with the purchase of the land. Ferens Park was probably one of the most attractive grounds in the Northern League, being set in rural surroundings and its facilities included a comfortable clubhouse, covered stand and floodlights. The attendance record at Ferens Park stood at 7,000 when on the 7th November 1957; Tranmere Rovers were the visitors in the Second Round of the FA Challenge Cup.

Unfortunately on that day, City lost 0-3. Another excellent attendance was on the occasion of the visit of Emley in the Quarter Finals of the FA Vase during the 1978-79 seasons, when 3,500 spectators attended.


Unfortunately City also lost this game by a score of 2-4. Emley progressed to the final, and went on to win the Vase. City left Ferens Park at the end of their Championship winning 1993-94 season, the ground being sold for housing development. However because their new stadium was not completed in time for the start of the 1994-95 season, City were unable to take their rightful place in the Unibond League. The club's new ground, its fifth, is the New Ferens Park, and is situated at Belmont on the outskirts of the City. The stadium has been purpose built, and boasts a two-storey clubhouse, 300 seated stand, and also covered accommodation for 600 standing s pectators, and excellent floodlights.






The Alan Smith Memorial Cup Final Played at New Ferens Park the Home of Durham City Afc.League Chairman Micheal Henderson presents the Trophy to the winning Captain from Newton Aycliffe Wmc.




League Chairman Micheal Henderson assisted by former Vice Chairman Collin Coates presents the Ramside Hall Hotel Trophy to the Captain of Chilton Wmc, in the Final held at New Ferens Park the Home of Durham City Afc




The Entrance to Ferens Park The Fomer Home of Durham City



View of the Ground from the Top Corner showing the Natural Banking and the Clubhouse and Stand in the Far Corner.


View from the Far end of the Ground Looking to the Clubhouse


View from theClubhouse end


Clubhouse and Changing Rooms        .
 

The Stand and Dug Outs

The Home Terrace and Stand

The Archibalds Stadium was Used By England  to Train on Before a Recent International at Newcastle.


 Jermaine Jenas and Peter Crouch


Chelsea Star Joe Cole


Chelsea Star Joe Cole

 


 England Players Train

 
 
 


England Team Bus

 
 
 


The Dugouts   

           


England Coaches in Duscussion 

 

Sacriston CW


The League Used the Enclosed Field at Sacriston Cw For its Finals. Sadly there are No Photos of the Ground avaible.